SQL Server 2016 is built to help businesses get ahead of today’s disruptions. It supports hybrid transactional/analytical processing, advanced analytics and machine learning, mobile BI, data integration, always encrypted query processing capabilities and in-memory transactions with persistence.
It is also perhaps the world’s only relational database to be “born cloud-first,” with the majority of features first deployed and tested in Azure, across 22 global datacenters and billions of requests per day. It is customer tested and battle ready.
Learn how companies like yours are using data innovation to take the lead in their industries. We have put together a list of 5 reasons on why you will love everything that is built into SQL Server 2016.
Industry leader in mission critical:
SQL Server 2016 delivers breakthrough mission-critical capabilities in scalability, performance, and availability for your most important OLTP and data warehousing workloads.
- Scale up to 12 TB of memory and 640 logical processors with Windows Server 2016.
- Reach up to 30x faster transactions and 100x faster queries with enhanced in-memory performance.
- Run real-time Operational Analytics over transactional data.
- Balance loads across readable secondaries in Always On availability groups.
Security + Performance:
A multi-layered approach to security has a proven track record of producing the least vulnerable database, even while being the most widely-used database on the planet.
- Rely on a database with the least vulnerabilities of any major platform—six years in a row.
- Protect data at rest and in motion with TDE and new Always Encrypted.
- Mask sensitive data with minimal application impact using Dynamic Data Masking.
- Grant access based on user characteristics with Row Level Security.
End-to-end mobile BI:
SQL Server 2016 delivers a comprehensive, on-premises, enterprise-ready BI platform that helps you to transform complex data into actionable insights.
- Create modern reports and visualize dense data with additional chart types.
- Access KPIs and mobile and paginated reports using the SQL Server Reporting Services web portal.
- Get faster SQL Server Analysis Services performance with parallel processing.
- Use enhanced multidimensional models in SQL Server Analysis Services.
- Easily set up SQL Server Data Tools Preview in Visual Studio 2015.
In-database advanced analytics:
Built-in advanced analytics provide scalability and performance for building and running your advanced analytics algorithms directly in the core SQL Server transactional database.
- Transform complex data from multiple sources into trusted data models using the most popular statistical modelling language.
- Process analytics in-place, reducing latencies and operational costs.
- Write models once and deploy anywhere: in-database, to the cloud, or to Linux, Hadoop, and Teradata.
- Access thousands of R Scripts and Models in CRAN (Common R Archival Network)
SQL Server 2016 delivers a consistent experience both on-premises and cloud. You get an exceptional experience whether data is in your datacenter, in a private cloud, or on Azure.
- Dynamically stretch warm and cold data to Azure with Stretch Database.
- Tackle your mission-critical workloads with larger Azure virtual machine sizes.
- Rely on our cloud-first features, tested by millions of Azure databases.
- Use the skills you already have with common development and management tools and common T-SQL everywhere.