The increasing agility and Cloud Development has shifted the focus from the traditional perception of security. DevSecOps is the current trend, where rather than apply security to the application towards the end, it is implemented in all aspects of the development process right from conception to implementation, deployment and maintenance.
DevSecOps is an emerging set of practices that help the industry keep pace with innovation. DevSecOps is a combination of Compliance Operations, Security Engineering, Security Science, and Security Operations. It is designed to allow practitioners to provide value to business partners by focusing on solving security complexity with a customer back mindset.
Security tops as main pain point for the cloud deployments. It is this need for providing the best security practices that is available that is always on their minds. Typical challenges faced by the traditional DevOps approach include:
- Shared security model – The cloud based security model is shared among all the applications. This restricts the implementation of measures that are required for different customers. The customers and cloud service providers share the combined responsibility of providing network, foundation services and application security.
- The traditional security measures fail when applied to the Cloud. The constantly changing network changes, host identification and auto scaling concerns restrict the traditional methods.
- The DevOps approach is fast, quick and easily deployed. Compared with this, the traditional approach to security and compliances are slow and can’t keep pace with the mature DevOps approach. It is tethered to the end of the application development process and involves a lot of manual processes.
- The DevOps method facilitated little communication between the development, security and compliance teams. Within the teams, the internal communication was good between, but the co-ordination and effective communication between them was minimal.
- The InfoSec infrastructure was poorly maintained.
Cloud Infrastructure which is on demand, easily available, highly scalable and cheap has only increased the need to add Security to the development process. The concept of DevOps is fast changing into DevSecOps, where security is built into the development process.
Benefits of incorporating DevSecOps to your business
Better co-ordination between teams
Instead of being at the last stages of the development process, the security team is working closely with all the teams. Because security is integrated into cloud strategies, they are also involved in the business initiatives. This allows them to utilize their time more effectively. They work together to deliver more secure applications at a faster and more frequent pace via a continuous integration and testing process.
Security in the DevOps is more about providing the desired data or applications to only to those people who want it (Confidentiality), when they want it (Availability) and the data should be correct (Integrity).
Usually the integrity and confidentiality is maintained by security teams, but the availability factor is taken up other facilities in the cloud environment. With the auto scaling functionality taking care of the resource availability concerns, security is now automatically incorporated during this step.
Compliances are enforced
Policies and guidelines are in place to enforce compliances and for following the set rules and regulations. Any deviations from them, is interpreted as a security breach resulting in taking suitable actions. Compliance operations in DevSecOps means the customers are empowered to take real time corrective actions and to manage deviations from security baselines and self-heal with real-time data. This is done through real time security alerts and notifications.
The only way to enforce this compliance is through open communication about the various policies and guidelines.
The perception now is risk reduction. By focusing more on risks throughout the development process, you are prepared in advance to handle any security concerns that are presented to you.
To know more about DevSecOps for your business, you can mail us at email@example.com or call us at +91-80-4110-5555.